Friday, July 8, 2011

Four Day Road Trips....Comedy...


Summertime………… It's already July folks… I feel like I have so much to tell you guys.
Where should I Start? ………………………………………Got it!
Well…………..Wait!! Tank just came on Bet…I gotta turn it, Hurry, Hold on….LOL……
I'm sorry, not that I have anything against dude but when you hang around someone like Bilal for the last ten years, It's def  understandable to know how high your bar is raised for… well you get my point.
Ok… so back to where should I start. Traveling from one coast to another really starts to wear and tear down on you like the enormous amount of miles you put on your car. They don't call the term Frequent Flyer for no reason. I'm a Frequent Flyer! I have well over a hundred and twenty thousand miles to prove it. Yeah.. it's cool, I have yet to use those precious miles but I will soon enough. Italy is calling.

Just imagine how it feels to wake up in the morning and barely making the lobby call time! 
This past month or two, those calls have been an alarming 5am call. Why? Because we have to make it to the airport for an early flight to somewhere in Europe.
My Weekend started off by playing a show in our beloved D.C. town.
With unexpected Bus ride there from Philly(usually it's Amtrak),The Bus was completely empty to the point where the driver had to tell me and the rest of the crew aboard that we were too loud!!! 
Were the only ones on the freaking bus lady…… That was funny…… Fast forward to arriving in D.C. The adventure finally begins. I did name my blog the adventures of a musician and producer right. Ok…..
We're there at the venue with enough free time to take a nap, get some food, and oh a out of town haircut????? Somebody was tripping.
At the surprisingly Barber-gay Shop I found myself at, because there simply was no time to make a trip to my own barber….  With a Head full of hair… what was I really thinking.
(Thoughts to myself) All he has to do is trim my hear down a little and shape me up!
Instead he had to try and show off his best stuff, and ended up making me look like it was my first day of high school cut  I use to get from my dad!
Fast forward to me somehow getting sick from eating so much food before the gig to………… well I can't really get into that…. The second show turned back to normal, somehow. a few called me jesus for it. (Long Story)

Now we're back at the Hotel and there's only 5 hours to get yourself ready for the lobby call and then  nice four to five  hour bus ride to Ny.  That would be cool if we were posting up in Ny for a few days but no, were heading straight to JFK Airport…. Yes… fresh off the bus from D.C. To JFK!!!!
Once we're finally get to Nyc…. We were starving so much that we stopped into a no no mexican place in Times Square and ended up with a bunch of taco's and 3 dollar magerita's.
Finally we coasted to the airport only to fly to Holland, Amsterdam….. count it…… 7 hours of sitting in the death of what they call economy seating.
The same day we arrive. there's really only 2 hours to get yourself together and your basically a few moments away from stage time. Then the not so cool lobby call surfaces,  Next stop…… Stockholm-Sweden…….Yup… 5am lobby call because of our location… the airport is an hour drive away. At some point you have to wonder right… these miles and being in the air. It makes your body into a huge ball of pain.
Stockholm…Beautiful place, maybe I've been five times there already. We surprisingly got picked up at the airport in some dope old school ram1500 vans. Yes!! the old school van that your uncle charles have with a tv in it and 4 comfortable seats with a recliners!!!! There were so many of them, it looked like an old school transformer scene.
This time around, there's enough time to sleep a few hours before the show, thank goodness, I feel like since I been on the road and it's already three days now, I haven't gotten a full eight hours of sleep yet. 
Moving right along, the show was good, ran into a few people we knew playing before us, Oh not to mention the food was great! Delious I might add, but in europe, the catering is always top notch. I remember being on the road years ago and I would not have a clue on what it is to appreciate these venues hiring top notch chief to feed us. Instead I would opt out for Mcdonald's or send someone out to grab me a pizza.
Oh how I've matured, now days, its a great piece of steak or chicken, and the finest bottle of wine…. I mean glass. :)
The night ended with the fellas going to a jam session just a few blocks from our hotel. The guy who booked us on the festival owned the jazz club. It was fun, we jammed and played a few songs and the audience went nuts, that we would even get on stage and play in the first place. Once we were done, the bar is already raised, and no other then the Bobby Womack band shows up and they wanna play. Let's just say it ended up sounding like a huge ball of old school funk. It still was fun to watch, a little bad on the ears though. :)

Upon arriving to this club it was pitch black outside, I'd say we were only in the club for maybe three hours, and once we finally decided, hey, lets bounce and maybe get some food…. We walk outside, 3am and it's morning time! I couldn't believe my eyes, here it is light and almost sunny and we have but a few hours to sleep and get ready for our early lobby call! Great!
Back to Philly, or Nyc I might add….Another 8 hours on a plane… another hours getting from JFK airport.. then another 2 hours on the train… This time Amtrak… You do the math.. could your body endure that? That was the craziest Four days of my life I believe….It doesn't stop there though….. we got back home with only a week to recover and back out again to LA for some BET festivities….. Flying to LA feels like a mini flight to Europe!
With all that said… add the fact that I have a studio with a demanding schedule to keep up with… if you have any clue on what its like, then I'm sure you know the feeling… juggling and that will explain to you my absence from my beloved blog.
I've been trying to get it together, so I could eventually turn this site into my own personal web page….showcasing new music that I make and place.. and cool video scenes from these sessions.
Hopefully that should be together in a few weeks to a month… we'll shall see how that comes about.
In the meantime folks, remember to follow me on twitter… it's really funny there sometimes, you never know what your gonna get to read I'm SteveMckiebeats on there!
Shout out to Coleyondrumz from twitter…. you put me on front street to post another blog… here you go man….Imagine all of that with a cymbal bag on your back and a carry on bag with no wheels…. traveling crazy like that….Not cool!
Later folks…. stay tuned in.. I think I got my Blog flow back….:)
That's Tony Bass Player of Course and Amazing Producer Of Bilal Song Little One.
Mike Severson Guitar... Love that dude He's Amazing too!
Corey Bernhard Plays Piano In the Band....He's the cat!
Swag man himself...Chris Turner Check him out folks! Just google him!
Bilal Himself....
And thats me.. these photo's are shown because they were apart of my story, This was the
Stockholm Jazz Festival
My Set at the Bet Gig......
John Moffet Set of Cameo!
And last but not least, the air up there, we're friends..












1 comment :

  1. ColeyOnDrumz here! I appreciate you taking the time to do this blog! I definitely understand the demands of ur schedule. My tweet was not meant to press u. It was simply my way of letting you know i missed your blog. I will wait PATIENTLY wait for your next entry. I pray strength for your physical body and peace for your mind. Until next time......

    ReplyDelete