Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Montreux Switzerland


Three blogs in one week! I must be on a roll… (Just kidding) 
I looked in my digital camera and I found pictures from The Montreux Jazz Festival….. I thought… Why not show my folks who haven't seen it. It's pretty Beautiful there! 
Just so you know..Montreux is a small little town located in Switzerland outlined by the dope shores of Lake Geneva..You'll have to see it to believe it. It's one of the most prestigious Festivals in Europe and it's the second largest festival in the world after Canada's Montreal Jazz Fest. It's been going since 1967 with the likes of Marvin Gaye, Miles Davis, Ray Charles, Frank Zappa, BB King, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Prince, Return to Forever, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, and much much more.

Ok… so growing up as a kid.. listening to all these wonderful artist, and knowing that they graced the stage their at the wonderful festival.. makes me proud as a musician to accomplish getting to that point of playing the same stage! Yeah.. Im pretty excited.. it gives you a great feeling as to who you are as a musician and a hell of measuring stick to your growth.
I never imagined playing in these exotic countries…. festivals. staying on mountain tops in hotels… going from room to room to see all those legendary performances…. no.. I never imagined that but I did know at a certain point in playing music that I have some special… little did i know that it was special enough to travel the world and play music.
I remember back in 2000, I would tour with Bilal, and a few other artist and I played this very same festival, (The Montreux) I remember being so young and stupid! I remember being there, just being a snob…. ungrateful about the sights that surrounded me…. They were amazing in every way possible… but being 19, maybe 20 yrs on the road… never been anywhere before.. it seemed very surreal… I wasn't open to a damn thing… I wore roca wear and sported braids….and played in a great Band.

Little did I know, I was beginning my little musical following? Yeah right, the begining of a brand….Around that time Robert Glasper played with us…He wasn't as famous as he is now,but you could tell the legacy was quickly being assembled within all of us in that band. (Tony Whitfield, Mike Severson, Laron Thomas, Rob Glasper, Lamont Caldwell, Candice Anderson, Finese, And Bilal)
I even developed my own sound while not even knowing it… I just thought that if i continued to play well and not mess up and get those guys to go.. "Whew" you killing boy" then I figured everything was cool.

To prove it.. I have a video of us playing in the summer of 2002…. At the time. we played almost every Jazz festival there was in Europe…. we did the Nice Jazz Fest, Summer Sonic in Japan…North Sea…..And Of course the famous Montreux. Right before we performed Montreux stage, We played in Holland.. where they hold or held the Famous North Sea Jazz fest… Below on the bottom of this blog I will include a full show of us in concert.. and back then we played a full show… It's the same show we played the very next night in Montreux Switzerland….It shows us being so young and full of music and fun and not one worry in the world.
You can see and hear the progression of the sound that we have and now play with today.
I feel totally blessed to grace the stage of the Montreux festival already four years now.

It's always a little corny when you arrive and have to play the same day, this time around, we had a day off before and we were able to see a little bit of what goes on at these festivals… surely, people just drink alot and party, but there's also the amazing sights and music to go along with it.....I'd even advise you to take a vacation there.. I'm sure you'd love it!
So check out my pictures and little video clips to give you a quick glimpse….
A view from outside of the jazz fest!
A cool Library In town....
Another view.....
Hotels Right across from The Festival
Then there are Phamacie's
Tony watched BB King In the Vip Room... For the folks who don't wanna stand. Instead sit on a plush couch and cool out!
A small view of Lake Geneva... it swirls the whole town...
There you have it.....
All I do is Point and shoot what I see..
Tony and Chris walking through the town...
Point and shoot folks.....
Walking through and we find a Music Shop
Folks enjoying the Sun and Music
From the Roof top of my hotel
Again....
Lounge/Hot tub on the rooftop?
Lounge....
More View from the roof....
Can't Beat that.. can you...
Like?
Band Fun Times
From the Roof Again
Ok.. So I enjoyed the roof!


Mckie
























1 comment :

  1. Big thank you for let us travel with you. Music bless you. Much love !

    ReplyDelete